Farm Business Planning
If you have taken our Explore Farming course and you've decided that you want to start your own farm business, the Farm Business Planning Course is your next step.
This course meets in the evenings once a week for eight weeks at the New Entry office in Lowell. It is offered twice every year, a fall cycle (October-December) and a winter cycle (January-February). The standard course fee is $400, but you may be eligible for a tuition waiver of between $80 - $320, depending on your need.
The Fall 2015 Farm Business Planning Course will be offered from October 20 - December 8, 2015.
The Winter 2016 course will be offered from January 5 - February 23, 2016.
(Please note, dates are approximate and subject to change.)
We are planning to restructure our course offerings in the near future, for a taste of our proposed curriculum and changes to our course, click here. To sign up to be on our farmer advisory committee to provide input and feedback to our program design, email us.
NOTE: Before being admitted into the classroom Farm Business Planning Course, you must attend a session of Explore Farming. (In some cases, e.g. if you already have significant farming experience, this prerequisite may be waived; if you think this may apply to you, please email email@example.com or call 978-654-6745.)
What You Will Learn
In this course, you will learn how to:
- Identify goals and timelines for your farm business
- Identify your assets and the resources available to you to start a successful business
- Select the products that you want to market
- Research the markets in your area and how to promote your farm products
- Develop the individual elements necessary for an effective farm business plan, including enterprise budgets, a crop plan, cash flows, and more
- Weave those elements together into a cohesive business plan
How to Apply
Please contact Nora Saks, at (978) 654-6745 x 104 or firstname.lastname@example.org, if you're interested in taking the Farm Business Planning Course!