Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program (BFRDP) Assistance
Assistance for BFRDP Applicants
The New Entry Sustainable Farming Project, in collaboration with its partners, is working with the USDA's National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) to gain a better understanding of challenges inexperienced applicants face and to create tools and resources to help support them. The project aims to help all beginning farmer and rancher education and support organizations more easily and effectively apply for the USDA’s Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program (BFRDP) funding.
The FY2017 RFA period has ended as of December 8 at 5 pm EST. We will continue to update our resources and develop more in anticipation of the next RFA in the coming year. If you would like to provide feedback on the BFRDP RFA process, please take our survey.
- Join our e-list - signing up here is one way to stay connected about applicant assistance
- Provide feedback - take our survey about the application process
- Online Self-Assessment Tool - gauge your readiness to apply
- Webinars and Resources - webinar recordings and documents to provide applicant assistance and guidance
- FAQ Portal - review common questions or ask your own and have it answered by the USDA staff
We are conducting a survey to collect your feedback about and training needs regarding the BFRDP application process. We would like to hear from the person who had primary responsibility for the application, even if you didn't submit your application.
It will take around 10-25 minutes to complete. Your responses are voluntary and will be anonymous. For those willing to participate in a follow-up interview, you may add your contact information within the survey, and your responses will be kept confidential. Only summarized information will be reported. If you have any questions about the survey, please contact Jan Perez (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Is BFRDP a good fit for your organization? This online self-assessment tool will allow applicants to determine their project's eligibility/applicability, and their level of readiness to submit an application and manage their grant if awarded. This tool is in the pilot phase and will continue to be developed in 2017.
Webinars and resources will provide applicant training and assistance in the various aspects and components of the application process. We are developing more and updating current resources. Check back for updates and additions.
- WEBINAR: BFRDP New Applicant Webinar - conducted by NIFA on 10/26/16
- WEBINAR: BFRDP Application Process Webinar - conducted by New Entry on 11/16/16; overview of application process and Grants.gov
- BFRDP Program page on the USDA's website
- FY2017 RFA
The FAQ Portal is a compilation of questions that have been asked during USDA webinars about the BFRDP application process. Use this portal to search these questions OR submit your own question, which will be answered by USDA staff.