Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program (BFRDP) Assistance
Assistance for BFRDP Applicants
The New Entry Sustainable Farming Project, in collaboration with its partners, is working with the USDA's National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) to gain a better understanding of challenges inexperienced applicants face and to create tools and resources to help support them. The project aims to help all beginning farmer and rancher education and support organizations more easily and effectively apply for the USDA’s Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program (BFRDP) funding. We offer webinars and Resources, an online self assessment tool, and an FAQ Portal, as well as an application process survey of BFRDP applicants and the results/findings.
For questions about the technical assistance New Entry provides for BFRDP applicants, please email email@example.com.
BFRDP FY18 Application Period Has Closed - APPLICATION PERIOD: November 24, 2017 - February 8, 2018
Is BFRDP a good fit for your organization? This online self-assessment tool will allow applicants to determine their project's eligibility/applicability, and their level of readiness to submit an application and manage their grant if awarded. This tool was developed in 2016-2017 and updated for the 2018 RFA.
Join our e-list - signing up here is one way to stay connected about applicant assistance
Upcoming: Evaluation and the Beginning Farmer & Rancher Development Competitive Grant Program
Presented by Allison Goin, Strategic Development and Program Design Consultant & Jan Perez, Reesarch and Education Specialist at the Center for Agroecology & Sustainable Food Systems, UC Santa Cruz
Previous BFRDP webinars: click link to view the recording
- May 29, 2018: Introcution to BFRDP - Allison Goin, Strategic Development and Program Design Consultant & Juli Obudzinski, Deputy Policy Director at National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
- December 19, 2017: NIFA BFRDP Webinar for Applicants -This webinar hosted by NIFA staff will review the BFRDP FY2018 grant program and application process.
- December 12, 2017: BFRDP Application Process - Join this webinar led by New Entry staff as we walk through the various components of application submission for your BFRDP grant. This webinar will cover aspects of the application package as well as navigating grants.gov.
- November 29, 2017: Adult Education Theory - Presented by Christof Bernau, Garden Manager and Apprenticeship Instructor at the UCSC Farm and Garden. Learn the basics of Adult Education theory, how it applies to your BFRDP application, and hear examples from the UCSC Farm and Garden.
- September 19, 2017: Evaluation Plans - This webinar provides information to develop a useful evaluation plan for both your organization's own use, as well as for a BFRDP proposal. Participants will gain an understanding of the basic steps, and will have a list of resources to use in developing future plans. This webinar is ideal for those who don't have much experience or training in evaluation, or those who want to learn more about creating an evaluation plan. Click here for resources for evaluation plans!
- July 18, 2017: Building Successful Collaborations - Presented by New Entry and our partner, Allison Goin, this webinar will focus on the importance of building and cultivating strong partnerships and collaborations for BFRDP.
- June 20, 2017: Project Development - Led by New Entry and our partner, Allison Goin, this webinar addressed various aspects of project development for potential BFRDP applicants. We covered the basics of the BFRDP grant, and focused on Allison's “Ten Questions to Ask When Developing a Project for BFRDP
- November 16, 2016: BFRDP Application Process Webinar - Conducted by New Entry this webinar is an overview of application process and Grants.gov
- October 26, 2016: BFRDP New Applicant Webinar
- Cultivating the Next Generation: An Evaluation of the Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program (2009-2015) - National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
- BFRDP Program page on the USDA's website
- FY2017 RFA
The FAQ Portal is a compilation of questions that have been asked during USDA webinars about the BFRDP application process. Use this portal to search these questions OR submit your own question, which will be answered by USDA staff.
BFRDP Applicant Survey Results - Feedback on the BFRDP Application Process and Technical Assistance Needs. We conducted a survey to collect your feedback about and training needs regarding the BFRDP application process. Responses were voluntary and anonymous. Only summarized information has been reported. If you have any questions about the survey, please contact Jan Perez (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.