Learn about our open positions - we are excited to hear from you!
New Entry envisions a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, New Entry actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work.
For expression of interest in joining New Entry, please Email your resume and a brief letter of inquiry, including a summary of your experience, to the point of contact provided in the job description. All potential candidates are required to complete a Tufts University hiring process.
Current Open Positions (see links to descriptions below)
- Food Hub Delivery Driver (Seasonal: September–May (with potential to continue into next summer) September-November: Up to 40 hours/week Monday-Thursday AND December-May: Up to 20 hours/week
Food Hub Delivery Driver
Seasonal: September–May (with potential to continue into next summer); $21-23/hour
September-November: Up to 40 hours/week Monday-Thursday AND December-May: Up to 20 hours/week
Reports to: Sara Poggi Davis, Food Hub Program Manager
Organizational Description: New Entry Sustainable Farming Project’s (New Entry) mission is to improve our local and regional food systems by training the next generation of farmers to produce food that is sustainable, nutritious, and culturally appropriate and making this food accessible to individuals regardless of age, mobility, ethnicity, or socio-economic status. In doing this work, New Entry provides critical training, career development, and economic opportunity to new farmers.
The Delivery Driver is responsible for packing produce and ensuring timely produce deliveries to our Food Hub customers, ranging from CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) shareholders, schools, food pantries, senior food access partners and wholesale accounts.
Essential Job Functions
Delivery Driver: Transport produce from local farms to the Food Hub and from the Food Hub to customers. Responsibilities include delivery of produce for a 400 plus member, multi-farm Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program as well as variety of wholesale accounts. New Entry distributes fresh, locally grown fruits and vegetables to customers around the Boston area. Driving shifts will likely be 6-9 hours per day on three days per week. Driving duties include:
• Pick up produce from area farms
• Deliver CSA shares and wholesale produce orders to 15-20 locations per week in the eastern MA/Boston area on time and during scheduled pickup windows
• Work with wholesale customers, site coordinators and volunteers at various pick-up locations to trouble shoot delivery or pick-up concerns and communicate issues back to Food Hub team
• Provide friendly customer service to stakeholders at pick-up locations
• Maintain cleanliness and monitor operational and maintenance needs of delivery vehicles (gas, oil, windshield-wiper fluid); schedule maintenance as needed
Food Hub Operations: Work with Food Hub team to pack and organize produce in a warehouse environment. Share packing will be 5-6 hours on one day per week with additional Food Hub duties up to 10 hours per week.
• Work in a warehouse environment to pack and organize produce for delivery
• Clean and sanitize produce bins to ensure food safety
• Maintain, clean, and organize warehouse space and equipment
• Perform other Food Hub-related duties as required
• We will consider exceptional candidates who demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described below.
• Clean Driving Record
• Ability to safely drive 14- and 16-foot box trucks in urban settings (narrow streets, tight loading docks, and alleyways)
• Delivery experience loading and unloading boxes
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. and move hand trucks with stacked bins repeatedly in and out of vehicles, trucks, and buildings
• Ability to operate a forklift
• Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
• Organized and detail oriented
• Customer service experience
• Friendly, reliable, high-energy level, comfortable with multi-tasking
• Good interpersonal and communication skills
• Team player, ability to interact with diverse personalities; tactful, respectful, flexible
• Good reasoning abilities and sound judgment
• Self-motivated and directed
• Ability to work a flexible schedule with availability Monday-Thursday for produce deliveries
• Access to reliable private transportation to reach New Entry central farm training center/offices required, located at 733 Cabot Street, Beverly, MA. 01915.
• Experience driving a box truck in an urban setting preferred
• Experience working in a warehouse environment preferred
• Experience handling produce and food safety training preferred
• Experience in commercial farming or wholesaling preferred
• Experience with small farm and landscaping equipment: 3⅚5 hp tractors, rototillers, mowers, weed whackers, other landscaping equipment
• Cross-cultural experience preferred
• High School Diploma or equivalent
To Apply for all New Entry open positions, please send a brief letter of inquiry and a summary of your experience to meet the qualifications or a resume and email to: Sara Poggi Davis, Food Hub Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates will be required to complete a background check and demonstrate a clean driving record.
New Entry values diversity and unique lived experience and does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law.
New Entry/Tufts University does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law.