Learn about our open positions:
New Entry envisions a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, New Entry actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work.
We are currently hiring a Food Hub Operations Assistant - APPLY TODAY! (updated 6/3/21)
Food Hub Operations Assistant
The New Entry Food Hub Operations Assistant will assist in packing and delivery of the multi-farmer New Entry Food Hub distributing fresh, locally-grown produce throughout the North Shore and Boston area. Operations include a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program, multiple wholesale accounts, and a variety of community partnerships serving low-income and food insecure individuals.
The position requires driving a 14’ and 16’ box truck and sprinter van for approximately 20 hrs/week. The position will be no more than 37.5hrs/week between June 1st-November 15th. Work week will be Monday-Thursday. There may be opportunities for part time employment December-May.
Pay is $20/hr. Non-benefitted position (although benefits include free produce and great co-workers).
Key Job Elements
The candidate will support the Food Hub Manager with the following tasks:
• Pickup produce from area farms
• Deliver weekly CSA and food security boxes and wholesale orders to customers in Greater Boston Area
• Assist in packing produce in proper volumes for each market
• Assist in assessing produce quality before and during packing, and implement system of feedback and education for farmers to address quality issues
• Maintain Food Hub cleanliness and FSMA compliance
• Work with customers, site coordinators and volunteers at various Pick-up Locations to trouble shoot delivery or pickup concerns and communicate issues back to Food Hub team
• Provide friendly customer service to stakeholders at Pick-up Locations
• Monitor operational and maintenance needs of delivery vehicles (gas, oil, windshield-wiper fluid) and schedule maintenance
• Support harvest and production of vegetables
• Work with volunteers and interns as needed
• Perform other related duties as required.
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Experience handling produce and assessing produce quality. Previous experience in commercial farming, wholesaling, or warehouse operations helpful
• Experience driving a box truck in an urban setting preferred
• Friendly, reliable, high energy level, comfortable with multi-tasking.
• Good interpersonal skills; team player, ability to interact with diverse personalities, tactful, flexible.
• Good reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
• Self-motivated and directed; ability to work well within a rapidly-changing environment.
• Access to reliable transportation Monday-Thursday required.
• Strong understanding of or interest in learning about addressing structural racism and inequity in the food system.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including week days and select evenings.
• Fluency in Khmer, Cantonese, Mandarin, French, Portuguese, Creole, or Spanish is desirable.
• Experience operating farm equipment (3⅚5 hp tractors, tillers, mowers, other equipment) is desirable.
Ability to perform varied and repetitive warehouse tasks including manual lifting of boxes between 25 – 50 pounds, in conditions that vary from hot and humid, to cold and wet, and up and down stairs.
Valid driver’s license and a clean Motor Vehicle Record
Ability to operate forklift in a warehouse environment
Email a resume to email@example.com with subject line: Food Hub Operations Assistant
Visit our volunteer opportunities or available internship pages for more information.
New Entry/Tufts University does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law.