Learn about our open positions
New Entry envisions a society grounded in the principles of social and economic justice. As such, we strive to achieve excellence through a diverse and inclusive workplace that honors the unique talents and lived experiences of each person. Our vision and values are reflected in all our employment-related decisions, including hiring practices. Accordingly, New Entry actively seeks people who bring diverse backgrounds and perspectives to join us in our work.
Available NOW: Part-Time Winter Delivery Driver (updated January 4, 2023)
Up to 8 hours/week OR bi-weekly; $21.60/hour; Seasonal – January-March (with possible Spring & Summer work if desired)
Job Summary: The Part-Time Winter Delivery Driver position is responsible for ensuring timely produce deliveries and providing good customer service to our Food Hub customers one day per week OR bi-weekly in the winter months, focusing on deliveries to local schools and food access organizations. The position is a vital part of the New Entry Food Hub team and requires a consistent weekly or bi-weekly 8-hour commitment one day per week. Day of the week is flexible (Wednesday, Thursday or Friday) depending on availability of applicant.
Essential Job Functions:
Delivery Driver: The Delivery Driver role will take care of produce deliveries for New Entry Food Hub, a local food aggregation facility in Beverly, MA, by transporting produce from the Food Hub to winter wholesale customers (schools and food access organizations) in the North Shore and Medford, MA. Responsibilities include loading and driving a transit van to deliver to a variety of wholesale accounts providing fresh, locally-grown fruits and vegetables to customers around the Boston area. Driving shifts will be 6-8 hours per day on one consistent day per week (or bi-weekly).
Driving duties include:
- Deliver wholesale produce orders to locations in the Northshore and Medford area on time and during scheduled pickup windows;
- Organize produce for wholesale deliveries;
- Clean and sanitize Food Hub packing areas and delivery vehicle to ensure food safety;
- Provide friendly customer service;
- Work with customers to trouble shoot delivery or pickup concerns and communicate issues back to Food Hub Program Manager;
- Monitor operational and maintenance needs of delivery vehicle (gas, oil, windshieldwiper fluid) and report issues to Food Hub Program Manager;
- Occasionally pick up produce from area farms
- Perform other Food Hub-related duties as needed.
Food Hub Site and Vehicle Maintenace: When not delivering produce, the position will support New Entry’s Food Hub as needed by cleaning the Food Hub (coolers, packing surfaces, etc.) and cleaning the delivery vehicle.
We will consider exceptional candidates who demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described below.
- Clean Driving Record;
- Ability to safely drive a Transit Van (no special license required) in urban settings (narrow streets, tight loading docks, and alleyways);
- Delivery experience loading and unloading boxes;
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. and move hand trucks with stacked boxes repeatedly in and out of vehicles, trucks, and buildings;
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions;
- Friendly, reliable, high energy level, comfortable with multi-tasking;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Team player, ability to interact with diverse personalities; tactful, respectful, flexible;
- Good reasoning abilities and sound judgment;
- Self-motivated and directed;
- Access to reliable private transportation to reach New Entry in Beverly, MA required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Customer service experience.
- Experience driving a larger vehicle in an urban setting preferred.
- Experience handling produce and food safety training preferred.
- Fork-Lift experience preferred.
To Apply for this open position, please send a brief letter of inquiry including a summary of your experience, availability to meet the qualifications and a resume. Email to: Sara Poggi Davis, Food Hub Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates will be required to complete a background check and demonstrate a clean driving record.
Also, please visit our volunteer opportunities or available internship pages for more information on other ways to get involved in our work!
New Entry/Tufts University does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, genetic information, veteran or disability status or any other factor prohibited by law.