Agricultural Technology Platforms and Software to Manage Risks
Technology exists to solve agricultural challenges and manage business risks, yet the landscape of available options can be confusing and overwhelming. Which technology solution or software application is right for my farm? Is the cost worth the investment? How much time and management will I need to invest to see a return on my time or money? we gathered and discussed answers these questions through a series of 12 educational workshops featuring experienced farmers, software developers, agricultural technology companies, and agricultural service providers. These workshops provide risk management solutions to help address:
- legal risk (farmland access and tenure tools)
- production risk (field and yield tracking systems)
- financial risk (record-keeping, sales integration, and enterprise analysis)
- marketing risk (online sales and customer management systems)
Workshops feature software demonstrations by leading technology platforms alongside local farmers providing user testimonials and 1:1 advising. Technology risk management decision-making tools, workshop recordings, and a fact sheet series with producer case studies.
Navigate to workshop event pages using the links below to view recordings, fact sheets, and speaker information!
New Entry also developed a simple Ag Tech Decision Tool to help producers consider the pros and cons of adopting a new technology.
Legal Risk Management Workshops
- Legal Considerations for Expanding your Farm Business (Farm Commons and Conservation Law Foundation's Legal Food Hub - legal services and resources) - November 11, 2021
- Financial Readiness to Acquire Farmland (Mortgage Builder Tool and and Financial Calculators) - November 18, 2021
- Lease Building to Acquire Farmland (Build-A-Lease Tool) - December 2, 2021
Financial Risk Management Workshops
- Tracking Financial Data (Record-keeping Tools and Software: FarmOS, Farmbrite) - December 9, 2021
- From Excel to Quickbooks (Financial Software Tools and Analysis) - December 16, 2021
- Using Point-of-Sale (POS) Data for Financial Management (Sales software and applications) - January 6, 2022
Production Risk Management Workshops
- Keeping Production Records for Enterprise Budgeting (Record-keeping tools and software: Tend, FarmOS) - January 13, 2022
- Keeping Records for Soil Health and Organic Certification (Record-keeping tools and software) - January 20, 2022
Marketing Risk Management Workshops
- Which E-Commerce Platform is Right for Me? A farmer and Food Hub panel of practitioners sharing pro's and cons of E-Commerce platforms and experiences from the field. February 3, 2022
- Navigating E-Commerce Platforms: An Introduction to GrownBy and Food4All. February 10, 2022
- Navigating E-Commerce Platforms: An Introduction to Barn2Door and Local Food Marketplace. February 17, 2022
- Navigating E-Commerce Platforms: An Introduction to Forager and Farm Drop. February 24, 2022
Thank you to our Funder!
This project, titled, “Supporting Producers to Manage Risks through Online and Novel Software Technology Applications,” is based upon work supported by USDA/NIFA under Award Number 2018-70027-28588.