A spicy, smoky salsa featuring hot peppers and tomatillos.
Ancho Chile Salsa
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3 small garlic cloves, dried
- 2 dried ancho chilies
- 3 dried guajillo or seranno chilies, seeded and torn into pieces
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 large green tomatillos, husks removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
In a medium sauté pan, heat oil. Add onion, garlic, ancho chilies, guajillo or California chilies. Cook until soft and the chilies begin to release their fragrance.
Add tomatoes and tomatillos. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add water or vegetable stock, salt, pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in oregano. When cool, puree and add chopped fresh cilantro to taste.
Organic Gardening Magazine