Tender beets and green beans tossed with a lightly oiled herb and shallot salad.
Beets, Green Bean, and Shallot Salad
- 1 pounds small beets, leaves removed
- 1 pounds tender green beans
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablesppons cup red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped mint
In a large saucepan, cover the beets with cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until tender when pierced, about 45 minutes. Drain in a colander, then rinse in cold water and slip off the skins. Thinly slice the beets crosswise and let cool.
In a large saucepan, steam the green beans until just tender, about 5 minutes. Rinse in cold water and drain well. In a large serving bowl, whisk the oil with the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Add the beets, beans, shallots, basil and mint to the bowl and toss to coat, then serve.
From Food and Wine