Slightly acidic sweetness as its compliment.
Cabbage Cooked with Apples
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds Savoy or other cabbage, core removed and shredded
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds sweet apples, peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons apricot or raspberry jam or currant jelly
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice or cider vinegar
Melt the butter over medium heat in a large, deep skillet, saucepan, or casserole. Add the cabbage, apples, and cloves and cook, stirring, until the cabbage is glossy, about 3 minutes.
Add the liquid, turn the heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or more, until the cabbage is tender and the apples have fallen apart. If the mixture dries out, add a little more liquid.
Stir in the jam or jelly and season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon juice or vinegar a few drops at a time, tasting after each addition, until the sweetness of the cabbage and apples is balanced by a nice hints of acidity. Discard cloves and serve.