Filipino-Style Potatoes Adobo
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold or other potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- pinch of sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
Place a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the bay leaves, onion, and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and stir-fry just until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook ,stirring often, until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the soy, vinegar, sugar, and water. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes, then uncover and stir the potatoes up from the bottom. Cover and cook until the potatoes are soft and tender, but not mushy, 5-8 minutes. Serve hot.
From Bangkok to Bali in 30 Minutes, Theresa Volpe Laursen and Byron Laursen, 2003