Full meal in a single dish!
Spaghetti with Broccoli Raab, Toasted Garlic and Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, more as needed
- 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and slivered
- 1 cup bread crumbs, preferably homemade
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- About 1 pound broccoli rabe, trimmed and washed
- 1 pound spaghetti, linguine or other long pasta
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it. Put ¼ cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. When oil is warm, cook garlic just until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add bread crumbs and red pepper flakes and cook until bread crumbs are golden, 5 minutes or so. Remove and set aside. Cook broccoli in boiling water until it is soft, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain well and chop. Cook pasta in same pot.
Meanwhile, add remaining oil to skillet over medium-low heat. Add broccoli raab and toss well; sprinkle with salt and pepper. When it is warm add garlic and bread crumbs and mix well.
When pasta is done, drain it, reserving a little cooking water. Toss pasta in skillet with broccoli raab mixture, moistening with a little reserved water if necessary. Adjust seasonings and serve with freshly grated Parmesan.