- For salad:
- 1/4 pound baby spinach, washed and spun dry
- 1/4 cup fresh herb leaves such as mint, basil, cilantro and chervil
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 3 scallions, green portion removed and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/2 fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced into thin shavings
- 3 ounces French feta cheese or other creamy feta or goat cheese
- 1/4 cup lemon vinaigrette (as needed)
- 1 pint mixed summer berries such as raspberries, blackberries and/or blueberries
- cracked black pepper to taste
- For dressing:
- 2 tablespoons shallots, diced fine
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed and strained
- 2 teaspoons berry vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4-1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Toss the spinach, herbs, cucumber and scallions in a large mixing bowl with just enough dressing to just cover the vegetables with the dressing, approximately 3 tablespoons. Add the feta and the berries and gently toss, just enough to combine.
Place the shallots, lemon juice, vinegar, thyme, mint, lemon zest and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, starting with ¾ cup and adding more as needed. Using the spinach leaves to taste the vinaigrette, adjust the seasonings accordingly with salt, black pepper and sugar.
As you serve, drizzle a little more dressing over the salad and finish with cracked black pepper.
Edible Boston Magazine, Summer 2009