A spicy, fun twist on traditional guacamole.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6-8 serrano chilies, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves only, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 12 medium tomatillos, husked and washed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large avocados, halved, seeded, and peeled
Roast the tomatillos by placing the whole fruit in a hot skillet or cast-iron griddle over medium heat and roast, turning occasionally, until quite charred all over and slightly softened. Combine the onion, chilies, cilantro, and salt in a large bowl. Add the tomatillos, a few at a time, mashing and blending with a fork or pestle to a fine paste. Add the avocados and continue mashing and mixing until chunky. Serve immediately as a dip with slices of ripe tomato or tortilla chips.
Cooking with Too Hot Tamales, Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, 1996