Light and refreshing cool summer soup.
Tomato and Tomatillo Gazpacho
- 1/2 pound fresh tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and quartered
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, chopped, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion, divided
- 1 fresh hot pepper, coarsely chopped, including seeds
- 1 garlic clove, quartered
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Puree tomatillos, half of tomatoes, and half of onion with hot pepper, garlic, vinegar, and 1 ¼ teaspoons salt in a blender until smooth. Force through a medium-mesh sieve into a bowl, discarding solids. Stir in remaining tomatoes and onion, water, oil, and cilantro. Chill until cold, at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.