A tasty, bright gazpacho featuring tomatillos.
Tomato, Tomatillo, and Avocado Gazpacho
- 1 pound tomatillos, papery shells removed, rinsed
- 2 slices red or white onion
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, to taste
- 2 small or 1 large hot pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (to taste)
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus additional cilantro for garnish
- 1 teaspoon lightly toasted cumin seeds, ground
- Salt to taste
- Few drops of vinegar
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes
- Freshly squeezed lime juice for serving
Place the tomatillos in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, flipping them over halfway through, until olive green and softened. Drain and transfer to a blender. Meanwhile put the onion slices in a bowl, cover with cold water and add a few drops of vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Drain and rinse with cold water. Cut in half or into smaller pieces. Add the onions and remaining ingredients plus a cup of cold water and blend until smooth. You will probably have to do this in two batches. Strain through a medium strainer, taste and adjust seasonings. Chill for two hours or longer. Garnish each bowl with chopped cilantro and a few drops of lime juice.