A creamy yogurt dressing to accompany fresh vegetables, or an Indian vegetable dish.
Watermelon & Mint Raita
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons whole brown or black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves, more for garnish
- 2 cups seedless diced watermelon
Put the yogurt in a bowl with the lemon juice and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium flame. When it is hot, add the mustard seed, then the cumin and stir for a minute or two while the mustard sizzles and pops. Pour the seeds over the yogurt. Stir in the chopped mint leaves with the watermelon. Serve the raita with a few torn mint leaves on top as garnish.
Edible Boston, Summer 2008